Suffering a loss or causing financial damages to others is never a pleasant experience but having proper insurance coverage usually make matters more satisfying.
Where to call in case of an accident?
You need to call your insurance company directly, not your agent. Claims number is on your insurance ID card.
What to do in case of an accident?
Collecting as much information as possible helps the claims process. Collect names and phone numbers of the parties involved and witnesses, take notes, take pictures and even videos.
In case of a car accident:
- Move vehicles to a safe location if possible
- Check for injuries and call 911 if anyone is injured
- Also, call 911 if its a hit and run accident or if the other driver is trying to leave the scene without providing their information
- Take photos or videos of the scene, vehicles and people involved in the accident
- Exchange information from all parties involved: names, phone numbers, drivers license numbers and insurance policy information (from the drivers of vehicles involved in an accident); year, make, model and license plates from the vehicles involved in an accident.
- Do NOT admit fault; however, fully cooperate with authorities.
- Take a lot of notes: what time accident happened, how it happened, who did what, when and how, how fast you were driving, how fast other party was driving and any other notes that will help you paint the picture of the accident when you will be calling your insurance company to make a claim.
How soon should you make a claim with your insurance company?
As soon as it is practically possible. Ideally right away but its OK if you make a claim the next day, the following day. Do not wait too long though. It is your responsibility to notify insurance company about any accidents as soon as possible.